The front door is the gateway to your home and often one of the first things passersby and visitors notice when looking at the front of a residence. Replacing a front door that is out of date, aging, inefficient, or unsecured may be one of the most cost-effective and impactful ways to refresh your entryway and enhance your home’s curb appeal while helping to make the front of your house more secure, energy-efficient, quiet and functional.
There are many front door materials from which to choose. Some of the more common include steel, fiberglass, aluminum, vinyl, and wood. There are unique advantages for each type of material, but arguably the three most popular front entry door materials are steel, fiberglass, and wood. Steel is more secure; fiberglass is lighter and wood is inviting and aesthetically appealing.
Below is a list of 10 reasons to replace your front door. Not all of them may apply to every project, but the list may help to decide if a front door replacement is the right move for added appeal, security, weather resistance, and insulation to name a few.
- Curb Appeal & Aesthetics: New doors and windows are two of the most visible ways to enhance the look of your home. An outdated, damaged, or worn-out front door can negatively affect a home’s curb appeal. Upgrading to a new and stylish front door is an easy way to instantly improve the overall appeal of your home. A new front door can also give more or less privacy depending on the style.
- Energy Efficiency: Older doors could be deficient in the insulative value that new doors now offer. Installation of a new door can greatly help with electric and gas bills if the old door was too drafty or transferred heat or cold too effectively. New doors are more energy-efficient since ratings have been improved and higher energy standards are now in place.
- Enhanced Security: Upgrading to a new, more robust, and secure front door can improve home security. Currently produced doors are often manufactured using advanced materials and locking mechanisms that can help deter theft and provide better protection against break-ins so your family and possessions remain safe.
- Weather Resistance: As time passes, a door’s exposure to the elements can cause cracks, warping, or other deterioration depending upon how the door is constructed. A new front door that is weather and water-resistant and made from materials that are better able to withstand what Mother Nature throws at it will reduce the risk of damage to your home’s interior.
- Noise Reduction: Loud noises can be distracting or annoying depending on how long they have to be endured. By upgrading to a new door with better sound insulation, noise can be reduced and a quieter and more peaceful indoor environment can be crafted.
- Improved Functionality: If a door sticks or is hard to open, it becomes a hindrance or even a danger depending upon how much effort is required to open it. Sometimes doors become warped, get loose in their hinges, or start to squeak over time. When this starts to happen regularly, it could signal that it is time for a new door that will improve functionality and operate smoothly and efficiently.
- Enhanced Home Value: An appealing, well-maintained, and properly functioning front door can mean a higher home resale value. First impressions are important, and the front door is one of the first things people notice when looking at a home. A new and attractive front door is an investment that not only improves the quality of life in the home but can pay dividends if the home is sold.
- Advanced Technology: Modern front doors may be equipped with features such as a lower threshold, wider opening, keyless entry systems, or security cameras. They may also include integration with home automation systems that can provide additional convenience, control, and peace of mind.
- Rot or Decay: If wooden front doors are not maintained properly and they are subjected to harsh weather conditions or humid and damp climates for an extended period, they become susceptible to rot, decay, or structural damage. It’s important to keep wooden doors properly stained or painted and any weathered areas repaired to get the most life out of a front door. A new door will of course solve any of these issues if maintenance or repairs can’t be maintained.
- Accessibility and Mobility: For individuals with mobility challenges, the installation of a new door will allow for mobility updates such as wider openings, a lower threshold, electronic entry systems, and other newer updates that can enhance accessibility and provide additional convenience for those with mobility issues.
When considering the replacement of a front door, it’s beneficial to determine specific needs, preferences, styles, material preferences, budget, and the climate in the area. Consulting with a professional door installer or seeking tips from a local home improvement store can help in making an informed decision on which door type would be best for the project.
Doors are constantly changing and being updated with the latest fashion and technology. Determining whether to replace a front door or not comes down to how the door is presently functioning, how it is being maintained, how insulated and soundproof it is, and how much it would cost to replace it. If needed or desired, it’s hard to go wrong with replacing a part of the home that will enhance the look, bring comfort to family members, and add long-term value as well.